Last week was hard squats and easy deadlifts, this week, easy squats and hard deadlifts. Since I bumped up the squat weights two weeks ago for my last easy squat/hard deadlift day, I decided to bump them again this week. Whereas I was doing 5 sets of 3 with 75% of my prior 1 RM, now I'm up to 5 sets of 3 with 80%. It feels good. The technique improvements are really working and my speed with these 80% sets is better than ever. Also did something different tonight, I tried grabbing the floor with my toes--or at least tried grabbing the insoles of my squat shoes with my toes. I've never done that before but after concentrating on keeping my weight towards my heels, it felt like I needed to do something with my toes.
While I've read about grabbing the floor with my toes in various articles by Pavel and others, I never tried it before. I guess I had other form/technique issues that were priorities. Anyways, after cueing myself to do it, it did make a difference in how solid my set up and squat felt and it's definitely in the set-up routine moving forwards.
Squats: 135x10, 225x5, 275x5, add belt, 315x3, 365x3x5 sets
After squats, it was time for deadlifts. I planned on working my hook grip some today so I hooked for as long as my thumbs could go. After a single with 545, they felt like they were ready to tear so I strapped up for the remaining sets. As I sit here and type this entry, they're a bit angry and there's a bit of a blister forming but no torn calluses anywhere. About the biggest issue so far with the session was an overall lack of speed. I think the squat work before deadlifting is causing it but since I'm working with similar weights and volumes as I used in previous, stand-alone deadlift workouts, I'm not too concerned. Come meet time, I'm anticipating having my speed off the floor back.
Deadlifts: 315x3, 405x3, add belt, 495x1, 545x1, add straps, 565x1, 495x3, 455x5